Thursday 22 October 2015


source: http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Used-Film-Camera
Introduction

When choosing postproduction module I really wanted to challenge myself. From the beginning I was pleased with he module however, I didn’t expect this to be so hard. I came to the module with no knowledge or much of experience. And in spite of being interested in the module, I’ve found it very challenging to feel completely inexperienced. That feeling, with working under the pressure of tight deadline, still affects my confidence. To overcome it I do talk to people and exchange my own experience. However, I feel stressed and moody. I hope that using postproduction software as much as I can on every occasion will help me to gain confidence. I will try to use Avid media composer on weekly basis. Challenging myself with different problems. I hope that by the end of second semester my experience will come together.

I’ve always been interested in history of film. In the collage I’ve enjoyed history of documentary. It was my favourite subject. But I always focused more on its theory rather then editing practice. Those first lectures of postproduction module helped me to understand how the powerful effect of a montage was achieved.

I’ve found everything interesting in postproduction module. I didn’t have much experience with theory of editing. For that, I’ve found all aspects of the module interesting. I really enjoyed history part. I was particularly interested in silent cinema part of the module. This part thought me that good film will play well without any audio. And this practice I started to apply to my editing practises. I also enjoyed workshops a lot. Those thought me there is a certain order, which put in place, keeps postproduction process organised. From this I gained the knowledge of right order in postproduction process – from viewing the rushes to audio dub.

I’ve also learnt that there is nothing wrong with being ruthless when editing. That helped me with editing decisions. I follow the quote introduced by module leader: “To edit successfully, the editor must imagine being in the position of the audience”. (by Gerald Millerson, Television Production).
However, in spite of enjoying module a lot I still struggle with the technologies in terms of editing. Technologies sounds to complicated to me and doesn’t really interests me. At this stage I struggle with jargon, codecs and right terminology.  To overcome this struggle I will read more postproduction blogs and magazines. I will explore my interests and overcome struggle taking part in tutorials and talking to people, asking questions. That form of learning works for me. Once I am told what to do I remember those information. I will watch more  experimental films. That form of learning helps me a lot as well. I use to study photography and gained a lot of good practice observing work and progress of masters of photography. Ive also gained an ability of switching from critical and analytical viewing art to this one in which  can easily enjoy it. When I am at art gallery or museum I am often looking for an inspiration. I carry small notebook and like to take notes from time to time. I do so watching inspiring movies. I often take notes of what is new for me or what I would like to learn. For example watching recently film "Dior and I" I was impressed by the effect of archive footage, of Christian Dior, being projected on the walls and objects in the company's modern studio. I noted down this in my notebook and will try to learn how to achieve this effect. 




No comments:

Post a Comment