Thursday 21 April 2016

Silent cinema in Europe


When researching for silent movie assignment I watched recommended films and went back to my favourite silent films from when I was younger.  I have looked into filmmaking history of Europe. I have learnt that due to the World War Europe was left behind in the filmmaking industry. According to Brodwell and Thompson distribution in Europe was disturbed and films were imported from Hollywood. After the war two first significant movies were made in Europe like “The cabinet of Dr Caligari” and “The Passion of Joan of Arc”.  I have also watched silent Metropolis and Dracula. The first one – inspired by art deco style and modern architecture of New York, has pioneering visual effects in it. I found it interesting that among the effects used are miniatures of the city, a camera on the swing and most particularly the Schüfftan process,
in which mirrors are used to create the illusion that actors are occupying miniature sets. This new technique was seen again just two years later in Alfred Hitchcock’s film Blackmail. (Mok, Michel (May 1930). "New Ideas Sweep Movie Studios". Popular Science (Popular Science Publishing) 116 (5).


The second film, for which made me think how much silent movie inspired the modern version. Murnau prepared carefully; there were sketches that were to correspond exactly to each filmed scene, and he used a metronome to control the pace of the acting. There are also some special effects. Stop-motion animation is used in the carriage ride and other scenes to represent some sort of demonic speed, a pretty “creepy” effect. In that same scene he inverts the negative (switching the darks and lights).

Watching both films consciously  after years I have realised that European filmmaker holds the shots for much longer then American ones however, in Europe filmmakers are using more experimental and innovative filming techniques.

I think in early cinema editing does have much influence on the outcome of the movie. What still creates the film is as story, mise an scene, lighting which creates the mood and evokes emotions, among with special effects. In my opinion at the moment in early cinema editing determinants the speed of events. It does help to introduce characters and relationships between them. Editing also gives or withholds information.

After watching recommended movies, I start using more dynamic cuts. So far I really liked long shots telling the story but after watching first silent movies I start to realise how quickly the audience can get bored and how important it is to keep pace of the movie. History shows that filmmakers were going for different solutions to attract the audience . I like long slow shots of performance itself. Reading about history make me realise that this type of shots bore the audience. (evidence ?) So it is not just about my preferences and what I like to watch but also about the audience and I have to find the compromise in between or something else.

How did it influence my learning and my editing skills
In my spare time I have looked into some other films: Birth of the Nation, “Intolerance”, “The cabinet of dr Caligari” and “Passion of Joan of Arc”. At the time I thought I cannot learn anything from black and white films. I thought about watching them as a waste of time. Iwasn’t looking forward to watch over two hours silent movie. I made myself to do so. At the time I had negative attitude towards those movies. But then I explained to myself that it is good for my learning outcome and slowly I start getting into those films. For me all three movies have significant similarities. I think those movies are well planned and filmed. All look epic with their spectacular amount of extras or impressive set design or experimental approach and dramatic acting. I have noticed that those films are full of metaphors and transitions. Eg. Griffith’s editig makes personal scenes and formal epic battle scenes related one to another. For example Griffith cuts away to two cats fighting. It is a metaphor to large battle which the movie s about.



Looking at the Birth of a Nation I have realised that from editor’s perspective film reveals characters and portrays black actors straight in first scenes. The film is full of propaganda such as portraying KKK as the brave, protective power. That makes me believe that filmmakers of that time would do anything to attract the audience. They would go with the voice of the time, using propaganda tools to promote hatred just for the publicity.

I started to incorporate those thoughts into my research assignment. As the more advanced shots were introduced, film’s visuals began to develop and as Thompson have noticed: motion picture grew in scope and sophistication” (Thompson, 2013, p.2).



No comments:

Post a Comment