Wednesday 4 May 2016

silent movie producing expierience

I have realized when discussing with the group that I prefer the story to be told in one
long take instead of cutaways I think it might be related to directors I was watching
when much younger. (woody allen Cameron, almodovar (excellent editing
experimental )
What went right / wrong, and what would I do differently next time?
When planning for drama production I incorporated rules for editing for filming
watching girl with pearl earring I noticed natural transition from one scene to another
when filming from blank wall pan the camera to the scene . I used this technique
filming for client led video -
Still discussing silent movie, I made notes of filming for the edit common rules:
Get LS of scene wherever possible to orientate the viewer (remember, that the
audience doesn’t know what you know!)
• Make sure there are good ‘handles’ on every shot
• Get cutaways from the action
• Anticipate continuity problems
Where there is going to be commentary, allow for this in the length and pace of the
takes • Plan extensive coverage and repeat action to give more options in The Cutting
Room • Get good audio wild track - environmental noises (can help create / build)
atmosphere and bridge scenes too • Drama - use ID board at top of shots
I knew I want to work with Patrick Brennan as he is a classic cinema lover and fast
pace situational comedy is his favourite and was reflected in his showreel from
college. I had this idea of something funny and fast and then Patrick added this
character in dramatic everyday situation. And then we added Chelsea Neil and
Madelen Nygaard as a camera ops. When planning our silent movie we took our
inspiration from melodramatic performance of Mary Jane. We added my exaggerated
chase scene, when I loos the hat and keeping hands up running. We tried to use same
performance elements, over the top facial expressions of Patrick. It also had an impact
for my story telling editing. I wanted the performance to tell the story so I kept long
shots I also used one very long scene of chase in which actions happens out o the
screen – the couple disappeared – I wanted the audience to pause for a moment and
thing where did they go. And surprise the audience when the couple runs back into the
screen.                          
I also understood how important the music is. We used 4 different settings: main
characters house (messy bedroom and bathroom), work place – the office,
Street side walk when our character is rushing to work. Inspired by benny Hills Show
we used bicycle chase scene and wobbly cyclist to add more comic approach.
Filming in different locations required organisational skills and that was when my
OCD came to use . We had the shot list ready after our 2nd production meeting, and
we get on with filming quickly. We used one of university rooms for filming, what
required written permission. We also struggle as the team did not want to be filmed.
But having talk about it for several evenings involving cups of hot chocolate to quiet
down unhappiness we get on with filming pretty quickly.
However during the first days of filming, extremely engaged in the project I ignored
my bad kidneys symptoms and by the end of filming I end up in hospital. That
slowed me down and not only caused pain but also a lot of frustration. However I
have learn my limits. To be honest I am glad that happened as now I am much more
careful balancing my work / home time and I am managing to find time for relax. I
came up with system of getting uni work done only when in university between 9 am
– 5 max 7 pm.
As a producer I have to learn to be more careful in terms of other’s work and double
check the recording format and outcome of filming.
I have realised when discussing with the group that I prefer the story to be
told in one long take instead of cutaways I think it might be related to
directors I was watching when much younger. (woody allen Cameron,
almodovar (excellent editing experimental )
In terms of time management in the editing process I used my time productively. In
spite of deadline extension I managed to finish beforehand. I created the title
referring for more dramatic effect to old black and white movie Bicycle Thief which I
have been recommended to watch when in college. In the editing process I used only
long cuts. I have used avid media composer – to get into good practice of post
production process. There wont be any sound only a fast pace music track to
emphasise comic effect. When screening I have noticed couple of continuity and
editing errors like the moment when Patrick leaves the home in hurry I repeat handles
from different angles. I have fixed those errors after screening. And I made corrected
version ready for resubmission. I had a lots of fun editing silent movie. First time I
start thinking that I want to edit something not that I have to edit something.
CONSIDER THE CUT
Simple Somehow resonates with our perceptions of reality (Murch) Dynamic
Powerful – creates instant association (Lev Kuleshov) Can be the most demanding
technique of all
Six Elements of an Edit (Roy Thompson) Motivation Information Composition Sound
Camera Angle Continuity CONTINUITY ‘If we see a series of shots that are
supposed to show the same action from different angles, we do not expect to see
radical changes in the appearance of things in the various images. We expect
continuity.’ Millerson – reflective: I start to understand how important in
filmmaking continuity is an how its lack can destroy the trust audience put in the
filmmaker
Continuity (Ward)
- Continuity of CONTENT - Continuity of MOVEMENT - Continuity of POSITION
(in space) - Continuity of SOUND
Continuity (TWO MORE!)
Continuity of TONE (Light and Colour) - Continuity of TIME In action continuity
sequences, make sure there is no missing, duplicated or extended time
‘Invisible Editing’ - Some Common Rules
Avoid cutting between shot that are extremely different (BCU to ELS for example) •
Avoiding cutting between shots that are too similar in size and angle (Creates ‘Jumps’
– the 30 degree rule) • If subjects are travelling in the one direction – continue this
direction in adjacent shots (Left-Right or Right-Left)
Avoid cutting between still shots and moving images (pan, tilt, zoom) except for a
specific reason • If you have to break continuity in action, use a cutaway that relates
to the subject or the set-up • The 180 degree rule - avoid cutting to shots that make a

person or object jump from on side to the screen to the other

1 comment:

  1. It is a wonderful post that I would like to share with my friends. Also, IF you have time then you can visit Naksh N Daksh which is one of the leading production studio which offers dubbing services, subtitling services, video editing services, post production, etc.
    https://nakshndakshproductions.com/

    ReplyDelete